Thursday, September 2, 2010

Our Interview with Louie Centanni


We asked Louie Centanni a few questions to help you learn more about this writer. Check out his 'Featured Writer' page to see his biography. He also has some great 'Writer Tips' to help out current and future authors. Click here to visit Louie's personal website.

Who/what inspired you to start writing?

My first real inspiration to write came from the Far Side cartoons. I remember being in middle school Science class and sitting next to a boy who I thought was going to be a lifelong friend (whose name I no longer know). Bored by the doldrums of cell structure, I doodled a horribly inartistic broken pencil and wrote, “The Little Pencil Who Could” as the caption. I showed the now nameless boy of my memory and he laughed hysterically. I’m pretty sure Ms. McNeil sent me outside. That was enough motivation for me, though.

As for writing fiction, I took a Creative Writing class during my undergraduate years at Trinity University. I never took my ability to write seriously until the first workshop day when I received quite a few compliments and constructive remarks from classmates. I then realized that I was able to articulate my own imaginative ideas in a way that others related to: writing. After that, I strove to connect with others through the written word as much as I could.

Who is your favorite author? Why?

My favorite author is the late Kurt Vonnegut. I find everything he writes to be filled with compassion, love, and humanity. Interwoven into all of his pieces is his keen sense of humor. What more could you want from an author? I’ve yet to read anyone else who can communicate such philosophical and peaceful messages with such simplicity, lucidity, and euphony.

Pen or Pencil?

Pencil! I’m a big believer that the day peace and prosperity overtake the world must be preceded by our ability to do crossword puzzles and sign checks in pencil—without fear of judgment or legal tampering from others.

Where do you prefer to do your writing? Why?

I am a coffee-shop writer. Most of my ideas come from observations and thoughts I experience while in public, so my writing comes more fluidly in that environment. I have tried writing at home, but I thrive when there’s a slight buzz around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment