Thursday, September 16, 2010

Get a grip...on the pencil!

Mike Theuer has a number of great Artist Lessons that can be extremely helpful for anyone interested in art. Visit his website and see what else he can do!

If you don’t have the right grip, your drawings will be flat. For example, my drawings are more than just lines. I also use shadows, dots, squiggles and broad strokes, both bold and light. Variations that add depth. I do these all using different grips. The grips broaden the drawing!

Here are the grips I use.


The Dictator- This grip is tight, pencil-upright and close to the point like the second-grade teacher who clenched her teeth and slapped her hand on my desk trying to teach me penmanship! I use this grip to make lines that are the DARKEST, MOST PRECISE and the FINEST when the point is sharp.



The Dude- The most common and versatile this grip is relaxed, pencil-tilted-back and halfway to the point like a surfer who lives the summer life on one hand but works hard in the water on the other. I use this grip to make lines that are LIGHT or DARK, BRIEF or FLOWING, LOOSE or PRECISE.



The Conductor- This grip is light, pencil-flat and far from the point . . . the farther back from the point the better which is why I use a pencil extender. This grip lets the pencil only lightly touch the paper like a conductor’s baton skirts the air. I use this grip to make LIGHT strokes which can be WIDE when the point is sharp and the lead lays flat on the paper.



The Nun- This grip is like “the Conductor” but with a fore finger on top. Now you have the same reach and the same angle but with a little more downward force like a school nun requires to rap your knuckles with a ruler. I use this grip to make DARK strokes which can be WIDE when the point is sharp and the lead lays flat on the paper.


Thanks for reading. Check back soon. Next time I’ll write about taking your drawing board for a spin. . . . PAY ATTENTION!!

No comments:

Post a Comment